It has been an incredible 10-year run for the H.U.R.T. Trail 100 Mile Endurance Run. During that time we have seen the run grow in popularity, and we have witnessed the improvement in the quality of the run and the runners who participate in the event. In an attempt to continue this improvement process we will be implementing some new processes for the 2011 edition of the H.U.R.T. 100.
Beginning with the 2011 event we will be utilizing the services of http://ultrasignup.com/ for our race registration. The open date for registration will begin on July 31, 2010 at 8:00 (HST) and last for 5 days only. The application and credit card payment will all be done electronically.
Beginning this year (2011 event) we will institute the H.U.R.T. 100 lottery algorithm whereby applicants will be awarded Kukui nuts in the lottery process to increase one's chances of being selected. Kukui nuts will be awarded based upon various criteria including, but not limited to the following:
· Previous H.U.R.T. 100 finishes
· Previous H.U.R.T. 100 starts
· Previous 100 mile experience or lack thereof
· Aloha spirit and sportsmanship or lack thereof
· Harmonious mix of Hawaii, Mainland and International runners
· Considerable services to HURT or to trail maintenance of the HURT trails
It is our hopes that these criteria will help us to achieve our objective of providing the following:
· Homogenous group of race entrants from the front of the pack to the back of the pack.
· Opportunity for both the first time 100 hundred-mile runners and the first time H.U.R.T. 100 mile runner to get into the run.
· Reward those runners who have supported the H.U.R.T. 100 over the years.
· Reward and develop the Aloha spirit and sportsmanship among the participants in order to make the H.U.R.T. 100 truly unique.
· Maintaining the high quality of the event.
John, Jeff & PJ.